Building rapport is a communication skill that sales reps should master in 2023.
Table of Contents
What Does It Mean To Build Rapport?
To build rapport is to create a genuine relationship with your prospects that goes beyond selling the product. It helps you become a trusted advisor to your clients rather than a vendor.
3 Main Benefits Of Building Rapport With Prospects
Benefit 1: The Power Of Trust
- long-term relationships easier to maintain
- upselling and additional services easier to pitch
- referrals easier to get
You should aim to become your prospect’s go-to trusted advisor for anything related to your service.
Benefit 2: Prospects See You As A Person
Benefit 3: Increased Referrals
2 Wrong Ways To Build Rapport
If you’re trying to build rapport with your prospects, there are two practices that you need to avoid at all costs:
- trying too hard to be someone you’re not to please the prospect
- not adapting to the personality of your prospect
Trying Too Hard To Be Someone You Are NOT
Step up your game by answering extra questions and letting your unique qualities and strengths shine through. Authenticity is key to building trust and credibility.
Not Adapting To Your Prospect’s Personality
3 Right Ways To Build Rapport (With Examples)
Tip 1: Find Your Uniqueness
Tip 2: Separate Yourself From The Product
Tip 3: Be Human And Humanize Yourself
Start Building Rapport With Your B2B Prospects In 2023
- take the time to understand their pain points
- show a genuine interest in their business
- establish a strong relationship
- earn their trust
- Closed first cold deal within 3 months with a well-known company
- Closed over $700K in deals since beginning the partnership
- Averaging 28 booked meetings per month against a target of 20
Spread the word and share this post with your network!